The Q&A Archives: Frogs And Toads In The Veggie Garden

Question: My vegetable garden has both small toads and tree frogs. Is one more beneficial than the other in eating insects? I've heard that the toads will eat the frogs and that I should eradicate the toads. Is this true?

Answer: Consider yourself doubly lucky to have populations of both toads and frogs in your garden. They will get along just fine. One toad will eat 10,000 - 20,000 insects a year, plus slugs, flies, grubs, cutworms and grasshoppers. Frogs are equally important, they're just smaller with smaller appetites. Protect your living benefactors and encourage them to stay by placing a small saucer of water on the ground in the garden for them to drink from, or sinking a birdbath into the soil so they can drink and bathe.