The Q&A Archives: No Flowers on Forget-Me-Nots

Question: We planted forget-me-nots from seeds at the end of May. The plants (leaves) are about 10 inches tall and thriving but there are no flowers on them and no sign of buds. Is this normal? Do we need to do something?

Answer: Annual forget-me-nots (Myosotis sylvatica) prefer cool moist weather, so the seeds are usually planted directly in the ground very early in the spring. They then bloom in the late spring, set seed, and die out as the weather warms. In the right spot, the plants will reseed themselves from year to year and in favorable years some may bloom in the fall. I think that your plants are still too young to bloom since you started them so late. If you can keep them healthy through the heat, they should bloom. The mature size is about 9 to 12 inches tall, so they sound as though they are still coming along nicely. Good luck with your flowers!