The Q&A Archives: oak leaf hydranga Alice

Question: I planted 2 bushes in May
They are growing and look great, but they have no signs of producing flowers. Can you tell me what I and do.

Answer: I suspect your oak leaf hydrangeas spent the summer establishing their root systems and putting out new growth. Since these plants develop flowers on the new growth of the season, there may still be time for them to flower before the weather turns cold. If not, at least they will be well established and ready to grow and bloom for you early next year. For best flowering and leaf coloring, your hydrangeas need to be planted in a site that receives both sun and afternoon shade. Moist, well-drained soil is best - the plant will not tolerate soggy soil or excessively dry soil. As long as your hydrangeas are healthy and getting morning sunshine, they will eventually bloom for you. Enjoy!