The Q&A Archives: dried lawn

Question: I live in Moreno Valley, CA. My lawn has dried and is full of weeds. I intend on digging all the dried lawn and bringing in compost and ferlizer then seed with St. Augustine. What's better, seeding or inserting pieces of St. Autustine throughout so it'll spread? I'm trying to find a more cost efficient way to fix my lawn. SOD seems like it's the priciest and I can't afford it.

Answer: Seeds for St. Augustine are not available so you'll have to go with sod. If you cannot afford to sod the entire area, you can use plugs or sprigs (cut from a roll of sod). The plugs or sprigs will fill in the bare areas and will cost about a third or fourth of the price of sodding the entire yard. It's more labor intensive, but more economical to cut small pieces from a roll of sod. Good luck with your lawn.