The Q&A Archives: removing honeysuckle

Question: I made mistake of planting honeysuckle in my flower beds among other plants. It has taken over. How do I get rid of it?

Answer: Wherever the vines find nice soil they will root. This characteristic is what makes it such a good ground cover plant. However, if you want to rid your garden bed of this plant you will need to hand pull all of the vines that have rooted in the bed. I'd start where the original plant was installed, dig up the roots and then pull out the vines. If the soil is moist, they should pull out without too much trouble. If anything sprouts from underground roots that you missed, just hoe it down - as soon as you recognize it. If you keep at it, you'll starve out the roots and no more sprouts will appear.