The Q&A Archives: Winter hardy plants

Question: I just purchased Ornamental Millet because the Home Depot associate said it would come up every year. I just looked in your plant library & it said it needs to be in zone 10. My zone is 6. Can I help it survive the winter?

Answer: Ornamental millet (Pennisetum glaucum) is an awesome plant, isn't it?? It is hardy only to 32F so it won't overwinter in Colorado and it doesn't make a very successful houseplant. So, you may want to treat it as an annual, knowing it will die down this winter. With any luck at all it will set seeds this fall. If so you can either allow the seeds to spill on the ground so new plants can sprout in the spring or you can collect the seeds and sow them yourself next spring. If it doesn't set seeds you can purchase seeds (Park Seed Company) and sow them indoors this winter and set them outdoors next spring when the weather warms. Enjoy your garden!