The Q&A Archives: when and what fertilizer for my lawns

Question: sept.1st.09, I have saint august and zoysia grasses when and what fertilizers should I use? I read not to use a weed and feed & also that a slow release is best.

Answer: What you've read is true - at certain times of the year. In the spring and summer you can use a slow release fertilizer but in the fall you should use a fast acting fertilizer, not one labeled slow release. And, weed and feed should not be used on your lawn. Winterizer fertilizer with a ratio of 3-1-2 (15-5-10, 18-6-12) or 4-1-2 (20-5-10, 16-4-8) is fine for your lawns. Don't use a slow release for fall feeding because grass needs immediate availability and uptake of nutrient elements so that the winterization can occur. Hope this clarifies things for you.