The Q&A Archives: small square space

Question: I have a small square area on the side to the front entrance of my home..what flowers could I plant that be colorful and neat and not flow spread wider but maybe grow taller? I like perennials as well

Answer: You didn't mention whether the site was sunny or shady so I'll suggest a few perennials that adapt to both:
Bergenia (Bergenia cordifolia) deep pink flowers in early spring, grows in partial shade in rich, moist soil. Grows about 12" tall.

Candytuft (Iberis sempervirens) grows best in full sun in well draining soils. White flowers; grows 9-18" tall.

English Daisy , (Bellis perennis) Sun to partial shade in cool, moist, fertile soil; flowers in pink, red or white and grows just 3-6" tall.

Foamflower (Tiarella cordifolia) grows in full to partial shade, flowers in white and reaches 6-12" tall.

Gerbera daisy (Gerbera jamesonii) flowers early summer to frost in full sun and well draining soil. Grows 12 to 18 tall; available in peach, pink, red, yellow.

Japanese Iris (Iris tectorum) blooms in summer and grows in full sun to partial shade in acidic, moist soil high in organic matter. Grows 12 to 18" with Lilac flowers.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.