The Q&A Archives: Request For Recipe

Question: I was looking thru the recipe section and was wondering if you or one of the Burpee associates had a recipe for old fasion tomatoe soup using fresh tomatoes?

Answer: I have a tomato soup recipe using fresh tomatoes but I don't know if it is the one you are looking for. I love it, bet you would too:

6 medium (about 2 lbs.) fresh tomatoes, peeled and seeded
2 tbsp. veg. oil
1 c. chopped onion
1c. thinly sliced carrot
1 tsp. crushed garlic
4 tsp. curry powder
2 cans (13.75 oz each) ready to use chicken broth
1/2 c. uncooked long grain rice

Use tomatoes held at room temperature that are fully ripe. After peeling and seeding, coarsely chop until you have 6 cups. Set aside. In a large saucepan heat oil until hot and saute onion, carrots until tender. Add garlic at last minute. Do not brown garlic. Add curry; cook and stir about 30 seconds more. Add chicken broth, rice and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered until rice is tender, about 18 minutes. Makes about 7.5 cups.

* If you like your tomato soup a little sweeter, you can add a bit of sugar to taste.