The Q&A Archives: variety of green colors in lawn

Question: my lawn has many colors of green from being reseeded in patches. I burned areas with fertilizer and now want to seed the areas--how can I get my lawn to look one color? Also, is this the time, or wait until early spring? What about brownish areas--will they come back? They are big areas not small patches like the others. Thank you very much for your advice. Regards, Marcia

Answer: You can take samples of the different grasses to your cooperative extension office for help with identification, or you can simply overseed your entire lawn with a grass seed mixture which should help even out the color. You can sew seeds now in the early fall or you can wait until next spring to overseed your lawn. Rake out the brown areas so the new seed makes good contact with the soil. Best wishes with your lawn!