The Q&A Archives: Plants For Shade

Question: I want to plant some flowers in a small strip of land in outside of my apartment. This strip has almost no direct sunlight. Is there any flower that can grow there?

Answer: There are dozens and dozens of plants that love shady conditions. Try Lobelia, Impatiens, Fuchsia, Pansies, Columbine, Delphinium, Begonia and Lily-of-the-Valley. Be sure to amend the soil prior to planting, to give the plant's roots a chance to grow deeply to support the plants. Spread 3-4 inches of compost or leaf mold over the area and dig it in to a depth of 6-8 inches. This organic matter will loosen the soil, add nutrients, and help retain moisture. After planting mulch the area between plants with additional compost or leaf mold to help suppress weeds.