The Q&A Archives: weeds

Question: how do I get rid of the weeds in my vegetable garden in preparing for next year and how does the weed fabrics work (what I mean is not the

Answer: You have a couple of options in terms of getting rid of weeds in your veggie garden. You can pull them, or use a vegetation killer such as Round Up at the end of the gardening season. Round Up will kill all vegetation and once it is dead you can either rake it up or pull it out of the bed. Then spread 3-4 inches of organic matter over the top of the bed and rototill or dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Rake the soil level and install weed barrier. Simply lay it over the bed and anchor it down. Weed barrier landscape fabric contains tiny little holes that allow water to penetrate, but it blocks sunshine which is what keeps weed seeds from sprouting. In the spring you can simply cut X's in the weed barrier to plant your transplants or cut slits in it to sow your seeds. If seeding, just fold the edges of the weed barrier under so the seeds can sprout. Once the plants are up and growing you can unfold the fabric so it covers the soil near your new plants. Spinach is a cool season crop so it is best grown in the early spring, or planted in mid summer so it can mature in the cool fall weather. Once it bolts the leaves will taste bitter. Hope this answers all your questions. Good luck with your garden!