The Q&A Archives: mosses

Question: I love moss in my lawn and garden. I have successfully transplanted small sheets to areas I want it. I would like to keep it healthy and encourage more growth. It is so expensive to buy. It has many uses in areas where grass will not grow, edging so there is no trimming needed and in wet areas. Do I feed it? I would like faster growth so I can transplant more. Thank you

Answer: Moss grows best in acidic soils so test your soil. If you need to increase acidity you can feed your moss with an acidified fertilizer (diluted Miracid, for instance). Mosses generally double in size in 6-12 months. You can cut little plugs out of your established moss and replant them them in a checkerboard pattern and they will fill in quickly. Or, you can make a moss slurry to spread over the soil. Moss slurries can dramatically reduce costs when attempting to cover large areas with a smaller amount of moss. This method can work well, but in all honesty is much more hit or miss in nature than transplanting entire sections of moss. To create the slurry, simply take water (or beer or buttermilk) and a handful of moss, and put this mixture in a blender. Blend for a minute or so. The result should be a thick moss slurry that can then be smeared out over a large area of soil, rocks, statues, etc. The addition of more moss fragments may be necessary for a thicker mixture. Paint or spread this slurry over the desired area(s), and most importantly, keep it watered constantly until it becomes well established. Enjoy your moss garden!