The Q&A Archives: Flowerless Four O'Clocks

Question: I planted a large container of different flowers. Geraniums in the back, four o'clock seeds in the middle and white
Supertunia's in the front. The four o'clocks have grown to about 9 inches high but have still not flowered or have any buds.

Answer: Your container sounds so pretty! These plants (Mirabilis jalapa) have an old time common name, "Marvel of Peru" which to me reflects their warm climate heritage. It sounds like your plants are growing on nicely; they need lots and lots of hot weather and sun in order to bloom. In my PA garden, they generally grow big and bold for months and months ( they reach 2 to 4 feet) until late summer before they start to bloom. Unfortunately, I think you just need to keep waiting.