The Q&A Archives: tomato blight

Question: Our area has been hit by tomato blight. My tomatoes, like everyone else's, are succumbing to the disease. Is there a way to salvage the green tomatoes? Are they safe to eat?

Answer: If the green tomatoes are in the right stages of ripeness, they can be harvested and either wrapped in newspaper and placed in a cool area, or taken indoors and set on the kitchen counter. At room temperature they should begin to turn from green to pink to red over a 2 week period. Those you've stored in a cool area can be brought in as needed, and they should ripen within about 2 weeks of being taken indoors. Although the plants are blighted, the fruits should be okay. I hope you have a great harvest inspite of the blight.