The Q&A Archives: Ants

Question: i recently was changing a dying plant from one pot to another. I suddenly realized it was infested with Ants (i think) or some sort of ant looking insect. how do i prevent that from happening?

Answer: Ants like potting soil. It's easy to dig and drains quickly so they won't drown. I hope you've repotted in fresh potting soil so any eggs left behind won't have a chance to hatch! I keep ants out of my container plants by setting each one in a clear plastic drip saucer (available at garden centers) into which I place 3 rocks in a triangle. I set the container on the rocks to keep it from sitting in the half inch of water I pour into the saucer. If you consistently keep a little water in the saucer the ants cannot climb into the pot and nest in the soil.