The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Roses

Question: I have a beautiful florabunda rose which is the showpiece of my front lawn. I now know (from reading your advice) that I should not trim this beauty in the fall. Can I trensplant the

Answer: Glad you find our service helpful! If you dig and transplant the babies now you'll need to provide some winter protection for them. Make sure that each has both roots and a stem, plus some leaves. Replant in your garden and as soon as frost arrives, place a mound of pine bouchs or leaves around each little transplant. I sometimes fashion little cylinders out of chicken wire or hardware cloth to place over my plants. One foot in diameter should be fine for your little transplants. Set the cylinder over the plant, mound soil around the bottom to help anchor it (or bury it a few inches into the soil) then fill the cylinder with dried leaves, straw or even pine needles to help insulate the plant and the roots. Remove in the spring when the weather warms. Enjoy your roses!