The Q&A Archives: Leftover Rose Roots

Question: I removed six hybrid rose-bushes from a bed and transplanted them into another. Obviously, I left some roots. Now these roots are sending up solitary shoots. How can I make each shoot into a nice bush? Where do I cut the shoot in order to increase branching?

Answer: Most roses are grafted onto a vigorous root stock so the sprouts will develop into something other than the hybrid you removed. If you want to keep the unnamed rose sprouts, just allow them to grow this year. Next spring cut the shoot back to about 12 inches above the soil. This should encourage two new stems at the node where you cut the shoot. Allow them to grow all summer and cut them back the following spring. Eventually you'll have canes that may produce blossoms.