The Q&A Archives: BLUE SPRUCE

Question: I have a 50' Colorado Blue Spruce in front of my house. In the middle of the tree, there are several branches that have lost all of there needles and are almost bare. This is only happening on one side of the tree.
What should I do to help save the rest of the tree from becoming this way.

Answer: If you've been watering deeply on a regular basis, the browning needles could indicate a pest invasion. Spider mites are the most common. Check for them by holding a sheet of white paper in among the branches and sharply tapping a branch or two to dislodge the pests. They are tiny, like specks of pepper. But they move. If you find these pests, you'll want to treat with a miticide. If you find no pests, the problem is most likely cultural or environmental - too much or too little water; sun or wind burn; too much fertilizer. Hope this information helps you determine the cause of the browning needles.