The Q&A Archives: Forcing Bulbs

Question: Hello Gardener, I have recently purchased a bag of Tulips and Crocus bulbs. I live in Northern California 30 miles south of San Francisco. I would like to know how long should I store the bulbs in the refrigerator before planting them in a container? I would like to force the plants to grow in a container indoors by early Spring.

Answer: Since you live in a mild winter climate you can provide the bulbs with their required chill by placing them in the refrigerator for 6-10 weeks, then planting them outdoors. For those you'd like to force, chill them as above and then plant them in containers. I like to take only a few of the bulbs out of the refrigerator at one time and plant them in containers. Take more out at 2 week intervals and plant them in containers. You should have a continuous supply of flowers all winter long. The bulbs take about 3 weeks to flower. Enjoy your garden.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"