The Q&A Archives: leaf scorch and color change for Japanese red maple

Question: Why do my Japanese red maples loose thrir scarlet color and seem to fade to light green. Why are the leaves curled dry and crispy bspite being in a sun filtered location.Are there any types of these red maples ie. Bloodgood or Emperor One that retain their red color longer?How can I tell if the tree is grafted or from seed? Which would be better to buy if I want the best red color? Do any of those

Answer: What you describe is perfectly normal for your maple trees. Their leaves are dark red-purple in spring and fall, fading to bronze-green with the heat of summer. For better color retention. try growing Acer rubrum `Red Sunset' which has excellent red to orange fall color and a notable pyramidal to rounded shape. `October Glory' is a well-shaped tree which tends to retain its leaves until later in the fall.
`Autumn Flame' has an early display of red fall color and develops a rounded shape as a mature tree. 'Bloodgood' and 'Emperor I' are also good choices for your Georgia garden. Enjoy!