The Q&A Archives: Grass Seed Under Pine Trees

Question: I just cut off all the bottom branches from 3 30 foot Pine Trees. Went about 9 feet high cutting from the bottom up. After I raked away about 3 inches of matted pine neddles, then covered with 3 inches of compost and put a heavy layer of shady grass seed. Can I exspect this to cover the areea in time. I also limed the soil good before seeding. Thanx, Charlie21047

Answer: Sounds like you did everything right. Grass won't grow well in shade but by limbing up the trees the area should get adequate sunshine. The soil beneath pines tends to be somewhat dry. The roots drink up most of the water, but the canopies can keep rainfall from soaking in so you'll want to pay special attention to watering your new grass, especially in the summer months. Aside from that, I think you've prepared the soil well. Good luck with your new lawn!