The Q&A Archives: brown needles

Question: what should I do to save my tree? Can I trim the brown or just fertilize and hope? It is an australian pine tree about 5' tall

Answer: Your pine could be showing symptoms of insect or disease problems or even the results of drought. Without being able to see the tree and examine the needles, I can't really make a recommendation. Don't feed your tree at this point. It is already stressed as evidenced by the browning needles. Do water it deeply once each week. If you see new growth next spring, there's still hope it will recover. In the meantime you may want to collect some of the fallen needles and look closely for insect or disease problems, or take a sample to your extension office for help with diagnosis. Once the problem is diagnosed, helpful folks there can suggest control remedies. Contact University of Idaho Extension, 30 N 100 W, Malad City, ID 83252-5066 phone (208) 766-2243. Good luck with your pine tree.