The Q&A Archives: Sweet Bell Peppers in Tropical South?

Question: I live in North Bay Village,Fl I want to grow bell peppers (red & yellow) in a 5in by 28in self watering container on a fence.It gets noonish to 600pm sun because of the neighboring condo.This area is bayside,very humid and warm zone9/10. Is this the right time? and will there be enought room in the container? I will start them by seed indoors. Will the selfwatering cause any rotting? 3 questions

Answer: You can plant in October or in February and you won't have to start the seeds indoors - you can sow them directly in the container. A 28 inch long container will support 3-4 pepper plants but I hope the planter is 5" wide, not 5" deep. The roots will need much more than 5" in order to grow well. If the container is at least 10 inches deep your pepper plants should thrive. A self watering container is just fine. It will provide just the right amount of moisture for the roots of your plants.