The Q&A Archives: Replanting Location

Question: This spring I planted yellow crock neck squash, bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes and zuccinni between the space of a block wall and and a walkway. I would like to now since these were spring/summer planting, Can I replace in the same area vegtables for the fall planting season in the southern california area i.e. lettuce, carrots ans cabbage etc. How would I do start the process?

Answer: You can absolutely use the same gardening area for different types of vegetables. Start by removing the old plants and spreading 2-3 inches of organic matter over the bed, digging it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. You can use compost, aged manure, etc. This organic matter will enrich the soil, help it drain well and provide some nutrients to the roots of your plants. Level the area and plant. Hope you have a bountiful harvest!