The Q&A Archives: where to plant heucharas(coral bells?)

Question: What's the best light condition for this plant? Also water requirements. Have one that's doing great in a shady, dry spot but would like to transplant. Thanks

Answer: Coral bells will grow in full sun to part shade but it sounds as though yours is happy in a dry shady spot. I find the leaves get crispy around the edges in the hot summer sun so I don't think they will make great rock garden plants. I've since moved mine to a site with some afternoon shade. Coral bells will adapt to most soils, as long as they don't remain soggy, and should be watered regularly. If you move your plant from a shady spot to a sunny one, plan to provide some shade from the sun until it adapts to its new spot. Otherwise the foliage will turn a crispy brown. Enjoy your garden!