The Q&A Archives: dwarf alberta spruce

Question: I planted the alberta spruce in april of this year per instructions. The shrub seem to be doing fine but I noticed at the top of the shrub there is some browning appearing.When I planted the srub I mixed in a handfull of Vigow 16-16-16 fertilizer with the dirt and compost. When the shrub was planted I sprinkled Bayer advanced Tree & hrub protect & Feed. The chrub is on a drip watering system.???

Answer: Alberta Spruce can be slow to respond to stress and/or insect damage, so by the time you see symptoms the culprit or cultural problem may already be gone. The important thing to remember is that plants in containers are sensitive to fertilizer which can build up and burn the roots. Alberta spruces don't like soggy soil, either, so check to make sure that your system is delivering enough water, but that the soil has an opportunity to dry out a bit between waterings. In general, these plants will replace lost foliage so prune off the dead needles. New growth should be healthy. If it, too, browns, you are overwatering. Hope this information helps!