The Q&A Archives: dwarf boxwood

Question: I purchased 6 dwarf boxwoods from Home Depot. I am planning on planting them in terra cotta and old cement planters. What type of soil combination should I use in the containers? I was told to purchase a tree and shrub soil, however, the instructions on the soil package state

Answer: I would use a good grade of potting soil in the containers rather than garden soil or topsoil mix. Garden soils and topsoil mixes do not drain quickly enough to be used in containers and if the soil happens to dry out it is nearly impossible to rewet. In very large containers you can use a potting soil/garden soil mix because the weight is necessary to help anchor the plant and keep it from blowing over in the wind. For your dwarf boxwoods you'll be using smaller containers and potting soil will be perfect for them. You'll find several brands of potting soil at your local Home Depot. Go with the highest quality you can afford. Expect that your terra cotta and cement planters will wick moisture from the potting soil so check frequently until you have a sense for how often you'll need to water. Hope this answers all your questions.