The Q&A Archives: Need a Climbing Rose/Clematis Suggestion for Part Shade

Question: I have an lg open porch with a 4'(w) X 12'(h)section of lattice at entrance between columns from floor to ceiling. Area gets late afternoon sun only w/shaded roots (behind a rhodedendron) Need a long summer blooming climber that can handle only part sun. A climbing hydrangea is nearby on a stone fireplace to compliment. Suggestions?

Answer: Here are couple of suggestions: Campsis tagliabuana ?Madame Galen? (Trumpet Vine); I think it's one of the choicest summer blooming vines. This is a red form of the classic hummingbird magnet and it blooms all summer with all the fine attributes of the traditional radicans.

Clematis "Dutchess of Edinburgh" is a white flowering vine; Clematis 'Henryi' also has white flowers, if you'd like to match your climbing hydrangea.

For contrast to your hydrangea, consider Lonicera Sempervirens ?Blanche Sandman? (Coral Honeysuckle) with reddish-orange, trumpet-shaped flowers opening to yellow. the flowers first appear in May and continue to bloom off and on until frost on this very vigorous native vine. This Honeysuckle is aphid-resistant and an incredible hummingbird magnet. There's also ?John Clayton?, a yellow flowering honeysuckle.

Best wishes with your new climber!