The Q&A Archives: ground cover

Question: I live in Hawaii and am looking for a ground cover. The area is approximately 6' x 6' and on a slope near my front door. It is west facing with a little shade in the morning and full sun in the afternoon. I would like something that has some color and low growing. I am hoping there is something that will spread but not get out of hand as I have other plants in the area. Any suggestions? Kim

Answer: There are several ground covers native to Hawaii that you can choose from:
Heliotropium anomalum var. argenteum: a low, trailing ground cover with one of the most fragrant flower clusters of all the native Hawaii plants. Each cluster comprises up to 15 small white flowers that protrude above a tight, silvery rosette of leaves. ?Ae?ae (water hyssop) grows 2-4 inches tall and 1-4' wide; Hinahina (silver sword) grows 2-6? tall and 2-4? wide; Nanea grows 6-8? tall and 4-8? wide. All make great ground covers. Enjoy!