The Q&A Archives: creeping charlie

Question: I have a very small area of creeping charlie in my lawn & want to kill it before it gets out of control. Applied Weed B Gone Max several times but it had not effect. Any suggestions on what to use to kill creeping charlie? Thanks.

Answer: You're right - Creeping Charlie (Glechoma hederacea) just laughs at most weed killers. Many gardeners have had good luck eradicating the plant by mixing 10 ounces 20-Mule Team Borax in 2-1/2 gallons of water and applying the mixture to their lawn. The boron doesn't affect the grass, but overwhelms the roots of creeping Charlie. Cool weather reduces its effectiveness so apply while it is still warm outside, or in May when the weather starts to warm. The University of Minnesota and Iowa State University have tested this recipe and report good results. Give it a try - you may have good results, too.