The Q&A Archives: Shrubs for heavy shade

Question: I have an area that is in deep shade. Would like to plant a perennial garden including shrubs? Any ideas?

Answer: I think you'll have the most success if you plant natives in your Indiana garden. These are most adaptable to your soils and climate and the following will grow well in shade: Maidenhair fern, Ostrich fern, Cinnamon fern, Royal fern, Christmas fern, Columbine, Wild ginger, Turtlehead, Woodland larkspur, Wild geranium, Swamp rose mallow, Blue flag Iris, Solomon?s plume, Virginia bluebell, Mayapple, Jacob?s ladder, Solomon?s seal, Bloodroot, Wild stonecrop Sedum, Blue-eyed grass, Indian pink, Celandine poppy, Foamflower, Spicebush, Vasevine leatherflower (Clematis viorna), Coral honeysuckle, Northern sea oats, Beak grass, and Bottlebrush grass. You might include primroses and astible for additional color. Enjoy your shade garden.