The Q&A Archives: building a raised bed

Question: After I finish making the frame work for my raised bed will the following prodedure have a negative effect on it. I'm thinking of putting down first some composted top soil then add some leaves and grass clippings, then add composted cow manure, more topsoil that has been composted, some organic moisture control product of miracle grow, then some soaker hose, and then top it off then plant.

Answer: Sounds like lasagna gardening to me! That's where you layer your organic matter and topsoil. Or, you can dump everything into the raised bed and mix it all together before laying your soaker hose and planting in the bed. Either way, expect the soil level to sink a bit as the organic matter decomposes. You can simply dig in additional top soil when that happens. Good luck with your raised bed!