The Q&A Archives: stickers in my yard

Question: i have lived in my home for 8 years and i have tried everything but burning my yard to get rid of all the stickers.please help.

Answer: Sandburs can be nearly impossible to eradicate - even torching your yard won't eliminate them because the seeds will sprout in the bare ground! You'll have better success if you use a post-emergent herbicide now and follow that up with a pre-emergent in the early spring to keep weed seeds from sprouting. The Texas extension service recommends using one of the following products for sandbur control: Amaze Grass & Weed Preventor (Green Light), Surflan, A.S. (Southern Ag.), Lilly Miller
Weed & Grass Preventor, or Weed Stopper (Lawn & Garden Products). Be sure to apply according to label directions. Preemergence herbicides applied in spring to prevent crabgrass should also prevent sandbur. Best wishes with your project!