The Q&A Archives: Evergreen choices

Question: I would like to plant 2 groupings of 3 Evergreens at the back borders of our yard. We get full sun, no other trees around. Surrounding yards have a lot of Blue Spruce so I was advised to not use Blue Spruce in case of a disease that would wipe them all out. Concolor Fir was recommended, but in my research I have found that that is very slow growing. Are there other tall evergreens that would grow a little faster, or is a Concolor a good all-purpose choice? Thank you.

Answer: Some of the best needled evergreens for Michigan include white pine, cedar, and hemlock. You might also consider cypress and arborvitae. Cypress and arborvitae grow faster than cedar; pines and hemlocks have about the same growth rate. Best wishes with your landscape!