The Q&A Archives: Queen Palm care

Question: The new fonds are growing, but they are drooped over. They are green and look healthy but sag. What can I do to help them? The mature fonds are yellowing on the tips.

Answer: The trouble with the fronds indicates a nutrient deficiency. Our soil is quite alkaline and even if you feed your palms regularly, they may not be able to take up the needed nutrientsw. I make it a practice to sprinkle a handful of Ironite around my 10' tall Queen palms, 3 times a year. Since mine are on a drip system, the Ironite goes into the water basin and is carried down to the roots through the water as it percolates down. The Ironite package will recommend amounts to use based upon plant size. Best wishes with your Queen palms.