The Q&A Archives: potted plants

Question: what do i need to do before i bring in potted perennials into the house for the winter? I don't want bugs indoors and right now there are some spider webs on them, but I'm also concerned about bugs in the dirt? thank you!

Answer: I've had a similar experience and generally discourage insects from inhabiting the soil by immersing the pot in a bucket of water long enough to thoroughly soak the soil. Repeat twice at 2-3 day intervals and the soil should be clean of hitchhiking insects. Then, prior to bringing the plants indoors, a routine washing or two with a spray of water from the garden hose along with careful inspection and treatment with insectidal soap (if needed) will clean off any insects including aphids, spider mites, and spiders that may have hopped onto the plants during the summer.