The Q&A Archives: Weeds

Question: In early June 2009 tall fescue sod was laid in my backyard. Before long I had crabgrass and Bermuda grass growing in the turf. What do you suggest I do to get rid of it? Should I dig up these pests and reseed or should I use an organic weed killer and reseed? Please help. Thank you.

Answer: Both bermuda and crabgrass are warm season annuals. They will die down when the weather gets cold. At that time you can dig the patches out. If it's above 40F you can overseed the bare areas with fescue. When the new grass is up and has been mowed 2 or 3 times it should be sturdy enough for you to apply a pre-emergent product to keep the seeds left from the crabgrass and bermuda from sprouting. Timing is everything with pre-emergent products so be sure to apply according to label directions.