The Q&A Archives: Phalaenopsis Orchid Plant

Question: I purchased a Phalaenopsis plant. I soaked planting bark before transplanting it into an orchid pot and sniped off the dried up roots. I did not feed it. I have it on a table about about 3 feet from a window and it gets about 20 minutes of direct morning sun and great indirect light all day. It is in bloom now. What can I do to get it to bloom again once these flowers are spent? Please help!

Answer: For phaleaenopsis orchids, some growers induce a secondary flower cutting just above dormant buds that are located below the first flower on the flower stem. Sometimes, a small baby plant (called a keiki) will develop instead. If this happens, leave it until roots develop and then it can be removed and potted. I hope this info helps!