The Q&A Archives: black spots on leaves

Question: I bought two roses this year and both keep getting black spots on the leaves then they fall off. I tried an anti-fungal but it did not help. How can I save these roses?

Answer: Black spot is one of the most common diseases of roses. Fungicides will help control it, but you'll need to practice good garden sanitation (prune and remove the most obviously infected canes), and try to keep water off the leaves. Fungicides need to be applied every 7-14 days during the growing season. Some choices include Funginex, Daconil, Captan, Bravo and the neem oil based Rose Defense. You'll find others in the garden section of your local Home Depot. I'm afraid black spot is just one of the challenges you'll face when growing roses, but the reward is worth the effort. I don't think there's anything quite as lovely as a garden filled with roses! Best wishes with your roses.