The Q&A Archives: Herbs in ground or raised planter

Question: I live in a coastal area in southwest Fl. I want to dry to plant an herb garden. Inside the air conditioning drys it out too fast. Do I need to raise the planter or just create a garden area? I'm below 8ft. sea level.
I am working from a wheel chair so raised would be better for me. I have it in the ground and it didn't go well. Thank you

Answer: I think it will be easier for you to garden in a raised bed but I also think that raised beds are superior for growing herbs and vegetables because you can control the soil type. Herbs for the most part have smallish root systems so a bed that's only 12" deep should be fine for them. You can build it higher if it will be easier for you to work. Or, you can plant your herbs in containers and set them on a bench or tabletop for ease of care. Use potting soil for containers or bagged topsoil for raised beds. These soils will drain well yet hold just the right amount of moisture for your plants. In the fall, winter and spring months your herbs can grow in full sunshine. In the summer months they will do best with some afternoon shade. I hope you enjoy your new garden!