The Q&A Archives: Rooting Hormone

Question: I am trying to propagate a hibiscus plant. In your library of questions it said to cut a stem 8-12 inches long and dip the cut end in a rooting hormone. Where can I purchase rooting hormone. Is this the same as a root stimulator? I have root stimulator which I purchased from your company.

Answer: Rooting hormone is usually sold in powder form in either a small bottle or a foil packet; it is literally a hormone to stimulate root formation along the stem. A commonly seen name brand is Rootone; it is usually carried by garden centers and nurseries and occasionally large hardware chains. Try looking for it in with specialty fertilizers.

Rooting stimulator on the other hand is used as a soil drench to help newly planted plants establish faster. It usually contains nutrients and micronutrients to promote growth of existing roots. This would be the thing to use once your cutting has formed some roots and you have planted it into a growing medium.

Good luck with your cuttings!

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Sempervivum Henry Carrevon"