The Q&A Archives: muddy yard

Question: We had our sewer pipe replaced, needless to say they pretty much destroyed what little yard we had. They piled the dirt up about 4 ft high, so I took a tiller and spread it out as much as possible. Well we have 2 dogs and are in need to fix the muddy mess that happens when it rains. What would be the best solution to in covering the mud as we wait for the ground to settle?

Stacey Carter

Answer: I would plant a cover crop to reduce the mud and help keep the soil from washing away before it settles down. Possible fall planted cover crops include winter ryegrass alone, rye with Austrian winter pea, or rye with hairy vetch. Pick one of the three. Plant in mid September and then turn under a month before you plan to plant in the spring. Here is the amount of seed you need for these in ounces per 100 sq ft: rye 6, Austrian pea 6, hairy vetch 3.