The Q&A Archives: Black carpenter ants

Question: What is my best chance to get rid of black carpenter ants in my house? Just appeared a month ago (July) after a large tree on a neighbors farm 30-50 yards away from our home. Everyone cutting costs, trying to take care of w/o exterminater.

Answer: I'm always a little hesitant when it comes to making recommedations for structural pest controls because I don't know the extent of the infestation and whether or not you will follow though with control recommendations. Sometimes you need to make several applications. With that said, I can direct you to a publication from Ohio State University that discusses the lifecycle of carpenter ants and the most effective controls:

In addition to reading this publication you might want to phone your local cooperative extension office for other advice. Carpenter ants are quite common in Ohio and no doubt there are lots of ways you can go about controlling the pests. I know from personal experience that you can actually watch them march across the yard and into the siding of your house or outbuildings. Once you know where they are gaining access you can treat that particular spot (I used a home pest control product with pictures of carpenter ants all over the label.) The ants began pushing the dead bodies out of the hole and after several treatments no more bodies were being pushed out and the trail to the opening was gone as well. You just have to keep at it. Best wishes with your eradication project.