The Q&A Archives: Drying Decorative Corn

Question: I have planted some ornamental corn that I want to use for decorating. The corn is up, has tassels and the cobs are filling out. What do I do with it after I pick it?

Answer: Speed is the only skill required when preparing decorative corn -- that is, if you want to keep the husks attached to the ear. When the corn is fully mature (the husks will begin to turn a paler green and the kernals will be hard), cut the ears from the corn stalks. Immediately after cutting, peel back the husks (leaving them attached to the base of the cob). You can remove the silks at the same time. The key is to peel back the husks while they're still moist. If you don't peel them back right away, they'll become brittle and almost impossible to keep in one piece, or keep attached to the base of the cob.