The Q&A Archives: Pomegranate Trees

Question: I Want to grow a pomegranate tree but cant seem to get the seeds to germinate,should I dry them out or try to plant them straight out of fruit,because the tree is hard to find.Whats the best thing for me to do.I live in south alabama,mobile.Thanks for any help you can give.

Answer: Pomegranate seeds will readily germinate so I wonder if you are using fully mature seeds? Allow the fruit to split and drop off the tree, then remove the seeds and scatter them on the ground. Most will sprout. However, pomegranates raised from seed may not come true so you will have a variation in the fruits that are produced on a seed grown tree. Cuttings root easily and plants from them bear fruit after about 3 years. Twelve to 20 inch long cuttings should be taken in winter from mature, one-year old wood. The leaves should be removed and the cuttings treated with rooting hormone and inserted about two-thirds their length into the soil or into a container filled with moistened potting soil. Set the container near the base of the tree so the cutting experience the same climate as the parent tree. By spring they will have rooted and you should see new growth from your cuttings. Best wishes with your project!