The Q&A Archives: Melons splitting

Question: I want to thank you for your advice on when to pick my melons. I noticed that when I picked my cantaloupe the bottom was split & the tops of one was. Did I let them get to big??

Answer: Melons need lots of water and lots of summer heat to mature, but the skin of newly developing fruits is quite tender. It's possible that the plant took up too much water and forced it into the fruit, but the skin couldn't grow fast enough to contain the fluid so the pressure made it crack and split. Baby melons should have a little protection from the hot sunshine. Next time a fruit begins to develop, try to move it under some of the leaves on the vine to keep it from experiencing temperature extremes. Enjoy your harvest!