The Q&A Archives: Lawn Reseeding

Question: I plan to reseed my lawn. I have bare spots and reseed over the rest. Two questions:
1. Is this time of the year 9-12-09 too soon?
2. What kind of seed should I use?

Answer: Now is a great time to overseed your lawn. The type of seed you purchase will depend upon what type of lawn you already have. In Temecula I suspect you have bermuda or some such warm season grass. In most desert areas of the southwest bermuda is the turf of choice and perennial ryegrass it typically sown in September, just as the bermuda is going dormant. The ryegrass will remain green from October until March while the weather is cool but will go dormant when it gets hot, just about the time the bermuda is coming out of dormancy and greening up. You can have your turfgrass identified at a local garden center if you want to overseed with the same turf. If it is bermuda, you can overseed with perennial rye.