The Q&A Archives: What kind of leyland cypress do I have?

Question: I searched on this website & entered the plant code & didn't match up with the plant description on the tag. This is the description it gives on the tag: Mature size 20-30'tallx8-10'wide, what is the scientific name for this species of layland cypress. How far do I plant these from my vegetable garden to provide a wind break? How close should I plant them together? Thanks.

Answer: Leyland Cypress is a hybrid of Cupressus macrocarpa and Chamaecyparis nootkatensis. The mature height and width indicates it is 'Moncal' - (Emerald Isle TM) - Plants grow abour 25 feet tall and 8 feet wide have a dense habit and bright green

Wind will travel to a dense evergreen windbreak and then go up and over. The height of the windbreak will dictate how much area behind it will be protected from the wind. For instance a 30' tree will provide a wind break for about 30' of ground. You can plant your garden 10-30' away from your wind break, depending upon the height of the windbreak. With a mature width of 8-10 feet, you can plant them 7-8 feet apart for a dense screening hedge.