The Q&A Archives: spot forr plant

Question: I have a Coralliformis dwarf tree and I was thinking of potting it. I live in central indian zone 5. I wanted to put it on the north side of the house. It says sun/part shade. Is this to much shade and will the roots freeze in the pot rather then being protected in the ground?

Answer: Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Coralliformis' is Hinoki cypress and is hardy in zones 4 to 8. Your hardiness zone, according to your zip code, is USDA zone 5. The general rule of thumb is: If your container plants are rated hardy to zones one or two points less than your area, then they should survive being left outdoors with minimal protection for the winter. Given your zone and the tree's hardiness rating, it should winter over in a container without additional protection.